Welder (SMAW, GMAW, GTAW, SAW)
Welding is a common process for joining metals using a large variety of applications. Welding occurs in several locations, from outdoors settings on rural farms and construction sites to inside locations, such as factories and job shops. Welding processes are fairly simple to understand, and basic techniques can be learned quickly.Welding is the joining of metals at a molecular level. A weld is a homogeneous bond between two or more pieces of metal, where the strength of the welded joint exceeds the strength of the base pieces of metal.
A welder is a tradesman who specializes in joining materials together. The term welder refers to the operator; the machine is referred to as the welding power supply. The materials to be joined can be metals (such as steel, aluminum, brass, stainless steel etc.). Welders typically have to have good dexterity and attention to detail, as well as some technical knowledge about the materials being joined and best practices in the field.
Workshops / labs
Name of course:
Welder (SMAW, GMAW, GTAW, SAW)
6 Months (800 hrs)
Overall objectives of course:
1. The prime objective of this course of Welder is to develop and enhance the skill level of the incumbent in the industry.
2. Semi-skilled and skilled worker produced by this training would help to reduce unemployment and poverty in the society.
3. To impart the training and provide the industry with workforce whose scope with job knowledge and skills are identified.
4. This curriculum is designed to train the Middle / Matric pass persons who are facing a lot of shortage of Welders in the field of industry.
5. This training program will provide opportunity to those who want to equip themselves with such knowledge and skills which will be helpful for their employment after completing this training of 06 months and would enable them to start their own business with professional approach.
6. Further, this Curriculum is developed by considering the requirements of local and international market and need of the trade enabling the pass-outs to meet the job market to reduce the shortage of Semi Skilled and Skilled workers in the area.
7. To establish coordination among employer’s, workers and government relating to human resource development programs.
8. Provide technical and vocational training basis which reflects the requirements of the industry.
Competencies gained after completion of course
Knowledge based Competencies:
1. Safety precautions applicable to Welding machines, hand tools, equipment, tools and during welding operations.
2. The common types of materials and their uses.
3. Express the knowledge of welding, marking, identifying of material, cutting tools & instruments, their uses and safety.
4. Define basic principles of welding symbols, read & interpretation of drawings, bevel preparation and tacking.
5. Describe the knowledge of Arc (SMAW) welding equipment, their use and safety.
6. Express knowledge of (GMAW) welding equipment, their use and safety.
7. Express knowledge of (GTAW) welding equipment, their use and safety.
8. Express knowledge of (SAW) welding equipment, their use and safety.
9. Describe the knowledge of welding joints, positions, their use and selection.
10. Express the knowledge of inspecting and testing welded joints to ensure weld quality.
11. Understand application of work Permit, WPS & instruction sheet etc.
12. Understand welding defects, their identification and rectification process.
Industrial Scope of Welding Trade:
Steel manufacturing industry.
Pakistan Ordinance Factory Wah.
Heavy Mechanical Complex Taxila.
Heavy Forge and Foundry Taxila.
Tractor and Agricultural Equipment Industry.
Local metal fabrication shops.
The trainee selected should be minimum Matric in qualification, whereas Middle pass may also be considered, who have earned practical experience of welding prior to the admission.
Medium of instruction:
Medium of instruction would be Urdu, but the English would also be there, as the jargons, terminologies, standards, tools and equipment name are in English and they must be learnt in the same language.
Suggested Personality Traits
Person should be mentally and physically fit.
can work in any working environment.